Boyatzis' work is very important to the field of leadership. I think his work on the emotional and spiritual dimensions of leadership are extraordinarily important. He is a voice that economic development leaders should listen to.
Boyatzis describes his work as an exploration of “how and why people change. It is a way of thinking about your talent, what you are, and what you want to do with it. My hope is that we can rediscover the power of the human spirit.”
Here are some of his books and articles touching on leadership development:
- Boyatzis, Richard E, Annie McKee. Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting to Others through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion. Boston, MA Harvard Business School Press 2005.
- Boyatzis, Richard E, Fabio Sala. "Assessing emotional intelligence competencies." The Measurement of Emotional Intelligence. Glenn Gehr (ed.). NY, NY Nova Science Publishers 2004.
- Goleman, D., Richard E Boyatzis, A. McKee. Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence. Boston, MA Harvard Business School Press 2002.
- Boyatzis, Richard E. "Intentional Change from a Complexity Perspective", Journal of Management Development, August 2006, p. 607-623.
- Boyatzis, Richard E, Kleio Akrivou. "The Ideal Self as a Driver of Change", Journal of Management Development, August 2006, p. 624-642.
- Boyatzis, Richard E, Melvin Smith, Nancy Blaize. "Developing Sustainable leaders through coaching and compassion", Academy of Management Learning and Education, March 2006, p. 8-24.